AB130 Independent Study Option for the 2021-22
The state requirements permitting remote/virtual learning instruction during the 2020-21 school year have expired. For the 2021-22 school year only, in accordance with the CA Education Budget Trailer Bill Assembly Bill 130 (AB130), school districts are required to offer independent study to students who are unable to participate in in-person/on-campus instruction. District options for implementing an Independent study program this school year are to provide their own independent study program, contract with a County Office of Education, or have an interdistrict agreement with a district providing a program.
RVSD will be entering into a master interdistrict agreement with the Novato Unified School District (NUSD) to offer an independent study option. Participating RVSD students will be on an interdistrict transfer while enrolled in the IS program (information about returning to RVSD is included below).
NUSD’s TK-12 Virtual Independent Study Program
NUSD’s TK-12 Virtual Independent Study will operate through their NOVA Independent Study program.
- TK-5th grade classes will be in the following multi-grade configurations: TK/K/1, 2/3, and 4/5. Each class will include daily live instruction with a credentialed teacher.
- Each 6th-8th grades class will be served by two teachers. One will provide direct instruction and support in ELA/Social Studies and the other in Math/Science. Electives and Independent PE will be supported by both teachers.
How to Enroll
Please complete the steps below:
- Complete the Request for Interdistrict Attendance Permit form (English | Spanish) and return it to Teresa Machado, Executive Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 415.454.6840, or drop off/mail to 100 Shaw Drive in San Anselmo, CA 94960. We will process and send the form to NUSD.
- Complete NUSD’s enrollment form for transfer students at https://nusd.org/virtual-learning-academy/.
For assistance, please contact Teresa Machado at email@example.com or 415-451-4060.
Returning From Independent Study
- A student who participates in NUSD’s independent study option and then returns to on-campus instruction in RVSD during the 2021-22 school year will begin no later than 5 instructional days in accordance with AB130).
- Although our goal is to have our TK-5th grade students attend their school of residence, please note many of our elementary classes are at or near capacity. If your child participates in independent study and then returns for on-campus instruction, we are not able to guarantee placement at your child/ren’s elementary school of residence. If there isn’t space, they will be enrolled in an RVSD elementary school where there is space.
To support families with independent study, your child’s school of residence will contact you before providing the last space at that grade level to a new resident or transfer student. In accordance with other existing policies, you will have 2 business days to confirm your child/ren will return for on-site instruction. If returning during the 2021-22 school year, then your child will begin attending no later than 5 instructional days.
- For 6th-8th grade students, because White Hill is our only middle school, they will be able to attend upon exiting independent study.
If you have any questions about the independent study option, please contact Eric Saibel, Director of Student Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.